Monday, January 24, 2011

The State of Social Entrepreneurship in New Jersey - Part I


Where are the Jersey social entrepreneurs?

I was born in New Jersey.  Raised in New Jersey.  Went to New Jersey public schools. Attended the Governor’s School of Public Issues and the Future of New Jersey as a Junior in high school.  I earned two degrees from Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey.  I moved away from the state and came back 7 years ago and I now am a professor at Rutgers Business School.  I am Jersey strong!  I have Jersey Roots and a Global Reach!

With all of that Jersey love, I am still a bit dismayed about one thing – the lack of support and visibility of Social Entrepreneurs in New Jersey. 

For five years I was on the faculty of New York University where I taught entrepreneurship and social entrepreneurship. As someone interested in social entrepreneurship it was rewarding to work with other dedicated people like those at the Berkley Center for Entrepreneurial Studies and the Reynolds’ Program in Social Entrepreneurship, Blue Ridge Foundation and numerous student and community organizations to support the practice, education, and research of social entrepreneurship even hosting conferences and co-editing three books on the subject (see below).  New York City has a vibrant social entrepreneurship scene!
Alas, in my home state, there is no scene for social entrepreneurs.

Of course, there are some all stars like Rising Tide Capital and Terracycle.  And, there are several SE organizations that are working in our major cities (e.g. TEAM Academy/KIPP Schools, Citizen Schools, PlayWorks).  But, there is no statewide support and more importantly, there is no statewide social innovation fund.

I am not the kind of person who will point out a problem without having a solution. I can’t just rant about it.  I have to do something about it.  With this blog, I am launching an all out effort to meet, cooperate, support and network with social entrepreneurs in New Jersey.  


I will write more on this tomorrow so stay tuned ...






Here are the three books I mentioned above:


     







1 comment:

  1. Indiegogo is democratizing the way ideas get funded and realized across the globe. We have a simple mission: to empower everyone to change the world, one idea at a time. We provide the tools to help campaigns—large and mainstream, or small and personal—boost the awareness and funds to get there.

    ReplyDelete